Sunday, February 28, 2016

Weekly Update February 28th 2016

The Week in Review: 
I headed out on a road trip with my parents for a quick weekend to see my brother. It’s a strange sensation to be sitting in the back seat with my dad behind the wheel like I’m six-years-old all over again. I’m much more accustomed to being my own driver and my only traveling companion after the last several months of residency travel.

The only benefit of long road trips is being trapped in a car without access to my study materials; miles and miles away from cell service I’m forced either into conversation with my parents or into the pages of a long neglected book. I ended up doing more of the former as we talked about those “big life changes” I mentioned in my last post (residency, weddings, etc). When we got sick of that I let my parents turn the conversation to politics and I turned my attention to re-listening to the BBC radio version of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere.

Having the chance to do some exploring in Boulder was fun, but with my brother still recovering from having broken his leg just after the first of the year we couldn’t do the traditional outdoorsy stuff. So instead we wandered shops and breweries. I’ve spent too much time traveling in the last six months to get as much joy out of it as I should. I’m officially over it. I suppose I’m getting it all out of my system now before I start off residency and fall into a very similar routine; day after day getting up incredibly early and returning home incredibly late. Part of me is looking forward to it as a time I no longer have to live out of a suitcase. I’ll be hating that part of myself and longing for the quiet moment of these travel days only a few weeks into intern year. We always want what we don’t have.

The Week in Snapshots: 



Cute puppy eyes / Tiny beer samples / Delicious Coffee / That Colorado Scenery

Reading:
The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri



Favorite Song of the Week: 
Emmylou - First Aid Kit




To-dos and goals for the week: 
 -Start up boot camp (my school’s prep program for students starting surgery (and surgical subspecialty) residency in the summer. After a month of vacation and traveling and work on research it will be interesting to get back to a more clinically focused medicine
 -Keep up the running. I’m finally getting back to a regular running routine after being away from any sort of regular mileage during the week with so much residency travel.
 -NOT eat out this week. After a weekend of travel, I’m always ready to get back in the kitchen and skip a meal cooked by anyone else.
 -Give the Blogilates PIIT program a beta test. I’ve done some Blogilates videos in the past and have always found them a fun break from other workouts AND a better way for me to build muscle than just being the cardio bunny I am.
 -Print a sample of our save the dates. I’ll be DIYing our save the dates, but I have to make sure they’re going to come out cute before I commit to making all 100 of them.
-Have a date night in with Sweetheart. After even a weekend away I can hardly believe how much I miss him. It’s always good to have a date, even if all we do is go on a walk, watch a movie, or run to Target together. No matter how we’re spending time together, we like to see that time as a gift to take advantage of.

3 Things:
• I FINALLY scored a super cute olive green canvas jacket from J-Crew on great sale. I’ve never understood why places that actually care the XXS I need for jackets and tops have to be so expensive!! After a solid year of looking I finally found one I liked (and at the right price!). I may never take it off.
• I’ve already planned a cute layout for our save the dates, but if anyone has any great suggestions for wedding invitations I’m open to... well… the invitation!!! Also – I’m wondering if I’m going to have to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop to really do this many of my own printables for the wedding
• Thank goodness for laptops, while I usually scribble all my notes in a journal by hand before ever setting fingers to keyboard, it’s simply impossible to do that from the backseat of a car through the mountains, so I’m at least getting a draft of this done so it can go up when I’m back in the comfort of our own house again with internet.

 Loving from Around the Internet:
This adorable honeymoon jar idea: Definitely going to do this to our change jar

Sending you love,
Katharine

5 comments:

  1. Love this format ! Though I must admit I will miss your videos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lord DIY wedding save the dates and invites... I did that! And I have to say they turned out great. I'll have to find some pictures or extras I have around here.
    The namesake is on my list of things I want to read (I started it awhile back, but then surgery or some other equally intense rotation started).
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my friend Maura's stuff! I think you download the design she made and the print out however many you want! They are super cute: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PartyGirlPrintables?section_id=18412037&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1
    ---Heather <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this but definitely going to miss your videos. Been watching those videos since you were premed!! Bittersweet for sure. Change is good though. (: Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete