Monday, March 14, 2016

Weekly Update March 13 (belatedly written on March 14)

The Week in Review
Last week I delayed on writing my weekly update post because I was sick and just wasn't feeling up to it. This week, however, I delayed writing until today because I wanted to have some real news to give you all.

Now I have that news.

I MATCHED!!! Today I found out that I had successfully matched. I will have a job next year. I don't know where that job will be quite yet (I'll find out on Friday), but I do know that after four years of acquiring this non-transferable skill set I will have a job as a surgeon next year.

It still feels surreal to me. Like there's no way that in a few short months I will go from being Lady Kay Almost MD to Lady Kay Actually MD. That people will actually have to call me doctor. It hasn't sunk in yet. I don't think it's going to sink in even on Friday morning when I open the envelope.

In other, less exciting news this week, Sweetheart has been quite sick the last couple days (today worse than previously). We think he may have picked up croup or walking pneumonia from working in clinic. Poor guy. :( The only upside was he was too sick to go into work today and got to be home when I opened the MATCH email. I keep trying to bully him into going in and getting seen at urgent care or student health (no luck so far, but I'm going to keep bullying). The key is to be more stubborn than your spouse to be.


The Week in Snapshots


Matched / Hiking adventures / Pi day quiche / Spring has sprung / More hiking adventures


Reading

I honestly haven't started a new book after finishing When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi-- I haven't been able to commit myself to anything after the world changing last few pages of that book. Give me a few days to recover.


Favorite Song of the Week

One of my good friends pointed out that this was the perfect song while waiting for Match results -- I haven't stopped listening to it since then.

To-Dos and Goals for the Week
- MATCH successfully -- check
- Figure out where I matched -- waiting till Friday

That's pretty much the only goals this whole week.

3 Things 
- I matched -- did I mention, I matched?!
- After growing up in the Southwest, I am firmly of the opinion that the consumption of huge amounts of spicy food is the cure for all URIs, so I made quite the spicy green chile bacon quiche for dinner tonight in hopes of making Sweetheart feel better.
- I bought a special bottle of wine when I was a first year medical student. I opened it tonight as celebration for getting a job for the next 5-7 years. It's as delicious as I thought. Four years of waiting tastes good.

Loving from Around the Internet 
These gorgeous (and fairly affordable) wedding dresses from BHLDN. Any other brides to be out there completely in love with these styles?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katharine! I just wanted to pop in and say congratulations on your match! I've been following your blog since you were a second year med student, and I've loved reading your posts since then - you became my favourite blog! It's been a real pleasure getting to know you through your writing pieces and snippets from your day to day life, including its ups and downs. You are a heck of a writer and I know that you're going to make a heck of a surgeon. I have no doubt that you'll write a book one day, and I can't wait to read it and see how far you've come from this day.

    P.S: The wedding dresses are just beautiful, I hope you find the perfect one to marry your one in :)

    Thank you!

    -Simone

    ReplyDelete