Sunday, June 19, 2016

Weekly Update June 12 - 18

The Week in Review 

Hard to believe that by this time tomorrow I will have already been at work for 10 hours and will still have about 20 hours left in the shift. How in the world am I going to get through that first day?? I have every intention to keep some notes (if I have a chance to breathe in  between the bouts of craziness) to write up something about my first ever day as a real doctor. I think that would be something that would be interesting to read at the end of this.

As part of our orientation to residency, we got the chance to watch the graduation of the finishing chiefs. It was strange to watch someone at the end when I'm still here at the beginning. It's easy to forget about the finish line when you're still trying to lace up your shoes at the start of the marathon.

There are a lot of miles ahead of me -- good ones and bad ones. I don't know what all those miles will hold or how things will be different this time next year or this time in seven years. But I'm excited for the race ahead.

The Week in Snapshots 

meal prep / last day of slow mornings / sunset on chief's dinner / the last time I look fancy for a bit / the ducks of summer

Reading
I realized that Carry On is the pseudo-sequel to Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, and so I put Carry On aside for a second to read them in the right order. I'm kind of neurotic about reading books that are connected in ORDER

Listening 
So I came across this cute little podcast called Sawbones that every week talks about a medical history. It's really funny and not hyper-technical so they explain all the medical words. But I definitely think some of the history included in it about how we used to treat diseases is really cool!

3 Things

  • I went to target like three times this week. I kept forgetting one or another thing I needed -- but now I have lots of snacks all stocked in my locker. 
  • I have new supposedly long lasting foundation/eyeliner/etc. We'll see if it lasts through an all night call shift. 
  • My new long white coats don't have inside pockets. That's unacceptable. I'm going to have to sow some pockets in there. 
Loving from Around the Internet 
MASON JAR SALADS -- I made a whole bunch of these to get me through the weeks lunches at work. Hopefully they're yummy because if they suck I have like 5 of them to eat.... 

4 comments:

  1. So exciting to see how you experience this new beginning. Best of luck on your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mason jar salads are the best! They're so yummy I knock them out in less than 5 mins (which is a bonus considering I'm in vet school). Good luck on your first shift! Many hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mason jar salads are the best! They're so yummy I knock them out in less than 5 mins (which is a bonus considering I'm in vet school). Good luck on your first shift! Many hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting a bit jealous of you guys starting already... I don't have orientation till July 1st. Though I know I'd eat my words if we actually started early, so I'll stick to drinking coffee & enjoying it.

    Also, I Literally just finished reading Fangirl (and am moving on to the next one now), and just listened to the Hysteria episode of Sawbones lol... I obviously approve of your entertainment choices this week!
    -Life à la med

    ReplyDelete